This Branch Notes
1. At least 27 people drowned in the English Channel in Wednesday as they tried to reach Britain.
2. That Enver Solomon, Chief Executive of the Refugee Council, said ‘Every day, people are forced to flee their home through no fault of their own. Now is the time to end the cruel and ineffective tactic of seeking to punish or push away those who try to find safety in our country’.
This Branch Believes
- Politicians, the media and state forces have demonised desperate people fleeing war, poverty and environmental destruction. They have blood on their hands
1. Agrees to support, nominate a speaker (if appropriate to the organisers) and invite all Members to attend the Vigil called by Stand Up to Racism, Coventry Asylum and Refugee Action Group and supported by Coventry TUC in Broadgate, 1pm this Saturday, 27th November, 2021.
2. Calls on Coventry City Council to organise a Minutes Silence for all staff and local residents to commemorate those who have died and remind ourselves that Coventry is a city that Welcomes Refugees.